EVENTS, FIXTURES, RESULTS – CROSS COUNTRY & MIDDLE DISTANCE
Below is a list of events and fixtures we enter as a club along with a timetable for the coming season. If you have any questions, please contact us. If you are able to help out at any of the fixtures, please let the team manager know; we are always looking for volunteers to help with transporting and erecting the team gazebo, admin, managing the teams, etc. Contact details for the team managers can be found on our Who’s Who page.
Chiltern League 2017/18
The Chiltern League comprises of clubs from Herts, Beds and Bucks and is open to all abilities. Men, women, boys and girls race separately depending upon age group. The scores from all races are combined to reach our league position.
Race day schedule:
- 11.30 under 11 girls,
- 11.45 under 11 boys,
- 12.00 under 13 girls,
- 12.15 under 13 boys,
- 12.30 under 15 girls,
- 12.45 under 15 boys,
- 13.00 under 20/17 ladies,
- 13.15 senior ladies,
- 13.40 under 17 men,
- 14.00 senior men.
What to do: We need to declare with the organisers who will be running the night before each race. We’ll send an email to the cross country mailing list the week before the race, and post on the website the week before each race so please let us know then if you intend to run. To join the mailing list e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org .
On the day, make your way to the event (transport is NOT normally provided by the club), locate the club gazebo and collect a number from the team manager. Please make sure you leave plenty of time to park, collect your number, and warm up. Aim to arrive at least an hour before your race. After racing, you won’t be given a finishing position ticket as results will be recorded by the organisers. For more details: www.chilternccl.co.uk
Southern Cross Country Championship
Regional event made up of clubs from the south of England. Under 13 upwards.
What to do: Open to all club members of all abilities but you must be EA registered pre-entered by captains. Look out for posts/emails to sign up nearer the time. The event is chip-timed so you must collect your chip and number from captains on the day.
For more details visit: www.seaa.org.uk
National Cross Country Relay
Well-supported national event where clubs from around England compete in teams around a course that’s not challenging and great for spectating.
Teams: under 13,15,17,20
What to do: Open to all club members of all abilities but you must be EA registered pre-entered by captains. Sign up now.
Hertfordshire County Cross Country Championships
Individual and county medals up for grabs here and the chance to qualify to represent Herts in future races. All age groups from under 11.
What to do: You must have been born in Herts or have been a resident in the county for at least nine months prior to the race to compete. Captains have to enter teams in advance so look out for details on the web site or on the cross country mailing list in order to sign up. On the day, collect your number from captains. Any questions, please contact the team manager. Details can be found on our Who’s Who page.
For more details visit: www.hertscaaa.org.uk
National Cross Country Championships
Prestigious and historic event which clubs across England take part in. Under 13 upwards.
What to do: Open to all club members of all abilities but you must be EA registered pre-entered by captains. The event is chip-timed so you must collect your chip and number from captains on the day.
For more details visit: www.englishcrosscountry.co.uk
FIRST TIME CROSS COUNTRY RACE GUIDE - PLEASE READ!
Cross Country can be a little daunting the first time and we would like you to have fun racing as part of the team; please do ask other members if there is anything of which you are unsure. Here are some top-tips:
- Read the race instructions a few days before as this will help you know what to take.
- There are no expectations so please take your first races steady until you get used to the distances and terrain with the aim of just finishing the race.
- When to arrive/meet up – Aim to arrive one hour before your race time to ensure you have enough time to familiarize yourself with the course and warm up.
- What to wear – For racing you will need a St Albans Athletic Vest and suitable well-fitting footwear; either cross country spikes (with typically 9mm – 15mm spikes) or cross country trainers with good grip. Most of the courses get very muddy and slippery and you may have to run through water. We suggest running shorts or leggings and sometimes if it’s cold you might want a base layer underneath, but beware you can get very warm running. Some people like to put duct tape over their laces to keep them secure.
Before and after the race you will need warm clothing such as track pants, hoodie and maybe a waterproof coat, hat and gloves. Wellies or another pair of trainers are good for walking the course. We try to walk to key elements of the course 45 minutes before as an age group team and then warm up. Be at the start line at least 5 minutes beforehand ready to race but keep warm and pass any surplus clothing to a team supporter just before.
- What to bring – Bring water and any pre-and post-race snacks, any required medication and maybe a flask of a warm drink for later. It is also useful to bring a change of clothes (spare socks, t-shirt, tracksuit bottoms) in case you get very wet and muddy. Plastic bags to take away muddy gear, tissue and wet wipes are essential and you might want to bring something to protect the inside of your car. Supporters will also need suitable footwear! Avoid bringing any clothing or footwear you don’t want to get muddy. You may also like a camp chair and or ground sheet / pop up shelter – but be aware it can be a long walk from / to the carpark.
- After the race – remember to put warm clothes on and do a proper cool down. Then have something to eat and drink. As soon as you get home, please clean your kit – as then you will find any problems such as missing spikes or holes before you race again and won’t have to put muddy, wet or mouldy kit on next time you run!
|Date||Event/Link||Age Groups||Team Captain||Location||Sign Up||Results|
|TBC||CHILTERN LEAGUE||u11 - Veteran||TBC||TBC||TBC||TBC|